What's the most effective way to tell your story? It depends on why the story matters, who's receiving it, and what reaction you expect. Let me help you find that sweet spot. Over my long career as a copywriter, I sought to identify and enhance each story's through line. More recently, I've focused on editing other people's work, strengthening the impact of their ideas, smoothing their flow of words, and preserving their unique written voice. How can I help you tell your story?
EDUCATION SECTOR (partial list)
• 2017 (current): Freelance Blog Editor, Leoni Consulting Group and Cool Cat Teacher. Working with authors and publishers of education-themed blogs to streamline and strengthen content on tight publishing schedules.
• 2017: Freelance Copyeditor, Brian Sztabnik. Proofed and advised in pre-publication phase of The Best Lesson Series: Writing.
• 2014 - 2016: Blog Editor, George Lucas Educational Foundation. Full-time editorial team member developing, editing, and producing blog content. Addressed content issues as needed across multiple teams.
• 2011 - 2014: Editorial Consultant, George Lucas Educational Foundation. Freelance blog editor.
• 2010 - 2011: Professional Aptitude Council. Researched and wrote historical and political quizzes.
• 1999: Writer, Presage Software Development Company. Wrote voiceover script for The Learning Company's Arthur's Kindergarten: Arthur's Treehouse Adventure educational title.
• 1984 - 1995: Managing Editor/Business Manager, EKS Publishing. Sole employee of small press that created and sold foreign language educational materials.
DIGITAL EDITING (partial list)
• 2017: Freelance Copyeditor, Rushcube. QA'd/gate-kept steady stream of marketing content from multiple writers while maintaining consistent brand voice for aerial sports and services franchises.
• 2016: Technical Editor, George Lucas Educational Foundation. Copyedited a high school AP physics curriculum in development by Lucas Educational Research.
• 2009 - 2011: Freelance Copyeditor, Pink Fog Studios. Edited drafts of client-facing instructional content and other collateral for photography studio.
• 2004 - 2005: Freelance Writer/Copyeditor, Glodow Nead Communications. Reviewed and edited/rewrote early-draft lifestyle industry press releases for boutique PR firm (Conde Nast America, Nieman Ranch, PlumpJack).
BOOK EDITING (partial list)
• 2012: Copyeditor, Mae Silver (author). Too Hot to Hide: Remarkable Women of Fort Lauderdale (Ord Street Press, 2012).
• 2011: Developmental Editor and Copyeditor, Abe Feinberg (author). Consulted on, organized, and copyedited teacher's memoir/case study Every Child Left Behind: Public Ignorance is the School Administration's Best Friend (Xlibris, 2011; CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014).
• 2011: Copyeditor, Mary Sue Wallace (author). Manifest Happiness: A Guide to Joyful Living and Golconda - The Golden Chrysalis: Ushering in the Age of Genius (both self-published, 2011).
• 2010: Developmental Editor, Val Gunn (author). Developed back-cover copy; consulted on character development and narrative details for fantasy thriller novel In the Shadow of Swords (Independent Publishers Group, 2011).
• 2018: Editor, Dr. David Wise (author). Edited articles by director of National Center for Pelvic Pain Research to enhance reassuring message and health literacy focus.
• 2004 - 2012: Script Writer/Editor/Producer and PR Writer, On the Path Productions. Edited interview transcripts into short radio format, audio magazine segments, and client podcasts. Produced multiple series. Developed new health literacy content for "Life Love & Health" show. Wrote and sent monthly newsletter and semi-monthly press releases.
• 2018: Copywriter, SunSoft LLC. Wrote user guide, developed web copy, and QA'd in-app copy for My GAN App, a personal productivity tool released July 2018.
• 2010 - 2011: Writer, tribalmedia. Developed mobile app content for recruiting initiative by Deloitte.
MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS (partial list)
• 2018 (current): Writer, Sinegal Estate Winery. Contributing to small winery's repositioning campaign by crafting new voice for marketing emails.
• 2017: Writer, Michele Thomas. Wrote positioning statement and bio for unique portrait photographer's website and promotional materials.
• 2011: Writer, Telemetry Solutions. Created friendly, engaging web copy describing applications for tracking, calibration, and transmission hardware products.
• 2004 - 2007: Writer/Editor, Questus. Wrote and edited site copy, case studies, and direct mail for digital marketing studio. Developed thought leader pieces with staff members.
• 2004 - 2006: Copywriter, High Voltage Interactive. Wrote advertorial copy for educational market brands. Developed thought leader pieces with CEO.
• 1998 - 2000: Web Game Writer & Copywriter, Phoenix Pop Productions. Developed and wrote Spychaser game for 3Com. Developed identity material for SpotLife (video sharing). Developed friendly, enabling copy for SparkCharge (financial service).
• 2017: Copywriter, Recommnded. Partnered with principal and designer in short, intensive, iterative process to generate and refine web copy for HR start-up focused on video testimonials.
• 2008 - 2009: Freelance Copyeditor, Resume Writer 1. Line edited resumes, providing quick turnaround for job seekers in a wide variety of industries.
WEB/SOFTWARE-BASED ENTERTAINMENT (partial list)
• 2010 - 2014: Writer, Horoscope.com. Wrote weekly romantic horoscopes and amusing personality quizzes. Still helping with occasional copyediting projects as needed.
• 2005 - 2009: Writer, The Astrologer.com. Wrote short, long, and themed horoscopes for SMS-format subscription or public access on client sites.
• 2000 - 2001: Writer, Mondo Media. Wrote and edited weekly newsletter about Mondo Mini Shows animation features.
• 1997 - 2004: Horoscope Writer, Astrology.com/iVillage. Wrote wide assortment of themed daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly horoscopes, ranging from 1200 words to 84 characters.
• 1998: Lead Writer, CircumStance Design. Researched and wrote voiceover script and supplementary text links for Fox Interactive's James Cameron's Titanic Explorer three-disc reference title.
PRIVATE CLIENTS (partial list)
2017 (current): Editor and Writer. Editing two books and personal website; writing web content for educational coach and online community entrepreneur; developing ideas for stealth social marketing campaign; assisting former colleagues with advisory edits on various projects.
• 2011 - 2013: Creative Consultant. Advised on manuscripts by published mystery author, two first-time novelists, two first-time memoirists, and amateur playwright.
• 2011 - 2013: Bio Ghostwriter. Built personal profiles for financial industry entrepreneur's website and high-level medical admin's resume.
• 2010 - 2013: Narrative Ghostwriter. Worked with non-English-thinking biblical scholar on fictionalized memoir of his studies.
• 2010 - 2012: Ghost Editor. Assisted with personal and professional correspondence of foreign-born U.S. businessperson.
PRO BONO WORK
• 2007 - 2010: WriterCoach Connection. Supported middle school students on core-subject classwork and homework assignments.
• Identifying narratives
• Invention and strategy
• Stylistic flexibility
• Line, content, and developmental editing
• Detail focus and economy of language
• Speed and efficiency
• Hands-on learning
• Respect for deadlines
• Active listening
• Team spirit
Summary of Other Clients and Brands
• Ad MOO (Takara, Choya, Kissui)
• Caldera Labs
• Caliban Research Labs
• Children's Lost Loved Ones
• CircumStance Design (Faith Popcorn)
• Collaborate Advertising & Strategy (Franklin Templeton, Action Ace)
• Demand Media (eHow.com)
• Diesel Design
• Digital Artists & Writers Group (Mastercard)
• DS Digital
• G1V1NG LLC
• Healthy U of Delmarva
• Ideacast Network (evote.com)
• Ikonic Interactive
• Knowlton Productions
• Leagas-Delaney (Adidas)
• Litigation Media Group
• Madcap Labs (Universal Mind, AMI Insurance)
• Mastiff Games (Nippon Ichi Software)
• Medius IV (Norton Utilities, Bank of America)
• Michael Morgan (www.santana.com)
• MicroProse (Starship Troopers)
• Morgan Interactive
• Odopod (Macromedia)
• Olive Tree Press
• Pretty Brainy
• Property Sciences
• Pylon Studios
• Simulat (Blue Coat)
• Thomas & Star
• Unified Color
• Wesley Ashley Wines
• BA in English Literature, University of California - Berkeley.
• Longtime musician (guitarist, singer, composer, improviser, busker).
• Writer/Editor/Publisher, Information Sickness, a print zine of modular SF/fantasy/satire, real-world editorials, and actual music reviews. Project currently moving online.
• Freelance Music Journalist for various SF Bay Area publications.